Thursday 19 November 2009

Power Supply

A synth is nothing without a power supply. So I've been looking at the available options to power my new rack.

The obvious option is the Blacet PS505, which is rated at 500mA. The problem is the modules I currently have planned will consume around 460-470mA, plus I have left a couple of gaps in my rack for other modules, so I'd be a bit worried that I'd be pushing supply beyond its limits. Then I need to factor in that being in the UK, by the time I've paid shipping it works out at almost £100, not including the usual import duties/VAT/admin charges that usually add on another 20%. So it starts to look a rather expensive option.

The other options are all DIY based.

First off, there is the Oakley power supply based around a Yamaha power pack that should safely run up to 750mA. This is quite a good option as there is a minimal amount of wiring up to do, apart from having to build up the supply board.

Next up is an open frame Linear type supply from Power One or Calex. These are available in various configurations & current ratings, but require more wiring up to get the required power options.

The other option is a Traco switch mode power supply. These are enclosed and deliver around 1A. Wiring up is minimal, and as it is enclosed the risks are lower. However, I'm yet to find a definitive answer as to whether switch mode supplies are good to use with modular synths. They usually are more noisy than regular linear supplies.

So at the moment, I'm undecided. I've narrowed it down to either the Oakley DIY option, or the Traco option (if I can find out for sure if switch mode supplies are OK).

Decisions, decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment